BMW 4 Series: Upgraded petrol engines, enhanced specification and sharper pricing highlight refreshed 2016 model range…
- BMW 4 Series mid-size range refreshed with new model designations.
- Advanced petrol engines offer increased power and improved efficiency.
- Range commences with upgraded 420i, priced from $68,900* – a $2,200 reduction.
- Turbocharged diesel 420d features improved specification and lower entry price, now available from $71,200* – a $2,200 saving.
- New BMW 430i succeeds 428i and is priced from $79,900* – a $2,500 reduction.
- Range-topping six-cylinder BMW 440i replaces 435i and commences at $99,900* – a $10,000 saving.
- All variants enjoy significant uplift in standard specification.
- Updates extend across Coupe, Gran Coupe and Convertible body styles.
- Available in dealerships from late-May.
BMW Group Australia introduces the refreshed 4 Series model range, available in dealerships from late-May.
Available across Coupe, Gran Coupe and Convertible body styles, the 2016 BMW 4 Series updates boast upgraded petrol engines, enhanced specification, sharper pricing and new model designations.
The BMW 4 Series range commences with the familiar 420i and 420d variants. They are joined by new 430i and 440i models, succeeding the previous 428i and 435i range toppers.
BMW 420i and 420d
Commencing from $68,900*, the 420i Coupe and Gran Coupe variants benefit from a $2,200 price reduction over the previous model. Opting for the $85,900* 420i Convertible realises a $2,500 saving.
All 420i models gain Adaptive M Suspension, Head-Up Display, Exterior Mirrors with Fold-in Function, Lane Change Warning, Driving Assistant and Surround View with Top and Side Views as standard.
The additional features build on an already-comprehensive specification, including:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Eight-speed sports automatic transmission
- Rear-view camera
- Electric Dakota sports leather seats with memory function
- Bi-Xenon headlights
- Front and rear Park Distance Control
- Navigation System Professional with RTTI
- BMW ConnectedDrive Emergency call and TeleServices
- BMW ConnectedDrive Lifestyle package
- Extended smartphone connectivity
- DAB+ digital radio
Sport or Luxury lines are available on the 420i for no additional cost; the M Sport Package is optionally available.
Under the bonnet, the 135kW/270Nm TwinPower 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine has been further refined to improve efficiency. Fuel consumption is reduced to 5.8L/100km for Coupe and Gran Coupe (down from 6.1L/100km and 6.3L/10km respectively), and 6.2L/100km for the Convertible (down from 6.4L/100km).
The BMW 420d range is available from $71,200* in Coupe and Gran Coupe guise, representing a $2,200 price reduction. The 420d Convertible presents a $2,500 saving, now priced from $88,200*, and shares the same improved specification levels of the 420i range.
Producing 140kW/400Nm from its 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine, the 420d variants reflect the same improved specification levels as the 420i range. Fuel consumption is 4.3L/100km for 420d Coupe and Gran Coupe, or 4.7L/100km in the 420d Convertible.
Succeeding the previous BMW 428i is the sporty 430i, priced from $79,900* in Coupe or Gran Coupe body style and from $96,900* in Convertible form. Both reflect a $2,500 price reduction.
The BMW 430i gains an additional 5kW over its predecessor, taking the TwinPower 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine to 185kW/350Nm. Significantly, fuel consumption reduces to 5.8L/100km (down 0.6L/100km) in closed-roof versions and 6.3L/100km (down 0.4L/100km) for the 430i Convertible.
Standard specification now includes the M Sport Package as standard to the 430i. The Luxury line, which includes the sumptuous BMW Individual Leather Dashboard, remains available as a no-cost option.
The 430i also gains the following in addition to the 420i:
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Comfort Access
- Electric lumbar support to driver and passenger seats
- Nine-speaker HiFi loudspeaker system
- M Sport Package offered as a no-cost option
Sitting at the top of the enhanced 4 Series range is the BMW 440i, supplanting the 435i.
Priced from $99,900* in Coupe and Gran Coupe form, the 440i is priced $10,000 lower than its predecessor. The 440i Convertible is priced at $117,900*, a $10,100 reduction.
Befitting its status at the top of the 4 Series range, all 440i variants are powered by a TwinPower 3.0-litre turbocharged six-cylinder petrol engine. Peak power rises 15kW to 240kW, and peak torque climbs a significant 50Nm to 450Nm. The benchmark 0-100km/h sprint is now achieved in 5.0 seconds in the 440i Coupe, a 0.1 second reduction.
Impressively, fuel consumption is reduced to 6.8L/100km (down 0.6L/100km) for BMW 440i Coupe and Gran Coupe body styles, and 7.2L/100km (down 0.5L/100km) for the 440i Convertible. This enables the closed-roof 440i variants to qualify for a reduced rate of Luxury Car Tax.
The BMW 440i also gains the following in addition to the 430i:
- Variable sport steering
- Harman/Kardon surround sound system with 16 speakers
- BMW Individual leather instrument panel (with M Sport Package)
- Heated front seats
- Parking Assistant
- Active Cruise Control
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Concierge Services
- Air collar (440i Convertible)
BMW also aims to reduce maintenance costs for the 4 Series, with all maintenance requirements controlled by the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) system.
With CBS, sensors and advanced algorithms monitor and calculate the conditions in which a vehicle is used, including mileage, time elapsed since its last service, fuel consumption and how a vehicle is driven.
Based on the information captured, maintenance requirements are determined, identifying whether an annual vehicle inspection or oil service is due.
Selected BMW service and maintenance costs can be covered by a single, one-off advance payment with BMW Service Inclusive (BSI), which is available in two packages: Basic or Plus.
The BMW Group
With its three brands BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce, the BMW Group is the world’s leading premium manufacturer of automobiles and motorcycles and also provides premium financial and mobility services. As a global company, the BMW Group operates 31 production and assembly facilities in 14 countries and has a global sales network in more than 140 countries.
In 2015, the BMW Group sold approximately 2.247 million cars and nearly 137,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax for the financial year 2015 was approximately € 9.22 billion on revenues amounting to € 92.18 billion. As of 31 December 2015, the BMW Group had a workforce of 122,244 employees.
The success of the BMW Group has always been based on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy.
* Manufacturer’s Recommended List Price is shown and includes GST and Luxury Car Tax (LCT) – if applicable, but excludes dealer charges, stamp duty, statutory charges and on-road charges, which are additional and vary between dealers and States/Territories. Customers are advised to contact their nearest BMW dealer for all pricing enquiries.