New edition of the first and still the only premium convertible in the small car segment; change of generation in the model range of the tradition-steeped British brand is continued with the new MINI Convertible; open-top driving fun on four seats combined with optimised qualities in terms of sportiness, efficiency, comfort, functionality, safety, connectivity and quality of both materials and workmanship.
- Unmistakable exterior design; precise balance between top-class elegance and sporty flair; characteristic proportions with powerfully sculpted surfaces and a dynamically elongated silhouette; up-to-date interpretation of classic MINI design features: circular headlamps and rear lights with chrome surrounds, hexagonal radiator grille, black peripheral body surround, side turn indicator elements; large selection of body finishes including the variant Caribbean Aqua metallic presented here for the first time.
- High-quality textile soft top with fully automatic opening and closing mechanism as well as sliding roof function; new drive, fully electric and therefore very quiet for the first time; also available as MINI Yours soft top with unique woven Union Jack graphic; opening and closing of the soft top and side windows in 18 seconds, also possible during travel at speeds of up to 30 km/h; invisibly integrated rollover protection which extends automatically when required as a convertible-specific component of the integrated MINI safety concept.
- Increased dimensions of the new MINI Convertible as compared to predecessor model by 98 millimetres in length, 44 millimetres in width and 1 millimetre in height; longer wheelbase (+ 28 millimetres); larger track width (+ 42 millimetres at the front,+ 34 millimetres at the rear); optimised space comfort on all four seats; new front seats with larger adjustment range; more comfortable entry and longer seat surface for rear passengers; also more clearly emphasised single-seat character with optimised lateral support at the rear; luggage volume expanded by approx. 25 per cent to 215 litres with closed top and 160 litres with open top; standard trim includes rear backrest with split fold, enlarged through-loading facility and Easy Load function.
- Characteristic interior design with horizontally structured cockpit, circular or elliptical contours for displays, air vents and door trim elements as well as high- quality colour and material combinations; display and operating concept including instrument panel on the steering column, central instrument with new functions, optional LED lighting display and red start/stop button at the centre of the toggle switch bar in the lower section of the centre console.
- Market launch of the new MINI Convertible with five engine variants (combined fuel consumption; 6.0 – 3.8 l/100 km; combined CO2emissions: 139 – 100 g/km); new engine generation with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology; 3-cylinder petrol engines with 75 kW/102 hp in the MINI One Convertible and 100 kW/136 hp in the MINI
At the same time this is also the starting signal for the new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible; top athlete in the segment of open-top small cars with thrilling performance qualities and extrovert charisma; distinctive drive and suspension technology developed based on well-established motor racing expertise and body design for optimised cooling air intake and aerodynamic values; the most powerful engine in the MINI portfolio with four cylinders and a capacity of 2.0 litres, a peak output of 170 kW/231 hp and a maximum torque of 320 Newton metres; acceleration from zero to 100 km/h in 6.6 seconds (6.5 seconds with Steptronic transmission) and from 80 to 120 km/h in 6.1 seconds; combined fuel consumption: 6.5 l/100 km (5.9 l/100 km), combined CO2 emissions: 152 g/km (138 g/km).
Power transmission to the front wheels; 6-speed transmission as standard; 6-speed Steptronic transmission as standard in the MINI Cooper SD Convertible and as an option for all other engine variants except for the MINI One Convertible; 6-speed Steptronic sports transmission with shift paddles at the steering wheel available as additional option for the MINI Cooper S Convertible and MINI Cooper SD Convertible and as a sole option for the MINI John Cooper Works Convertible; extensive range of MINIMALISM technology as standard; optional MINI Driving Modes including GREEN mode for a pronounced sporty style or efficiency-optimised driving (as standard in the MINI John Cooper Works Convertible).
Typical MINI go-kart feeling due to suspension technology with model-specific set-up combined with wide track and long wheelbase; single-joint strut front axle and multilink rear axle with increased stiffness and reduced weight; speed-related Servotronic steering support and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) including Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and Electronic Differential Lock Control (EDLC) as standard; MINI Cooper S Convertible and MINI Cooper SD Convertible additionally with Performance Control; optionally available: Dynamic Damper Control, sports suspension; equipped as standard with 15-inch steel wheels (MINI One Convertible) or 15-inch light alloy wheels (MINI Cooper Convertible, MINI Cooper D Convertible) and 16-inch light alloy wheels (MINI Cooper S Convertible, MINI Cooper SD Convertible); light alloy wheels up to 18 inches as an option.
New MINI John Cooper Works Convertible with its own suspension technology harmonised perfectly with the vehicle concept and engine performance characteristics; Brembo sports brake system, 17-inch John Cooper Works light alloy wheels Track Spoke silver, Servotronic and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) including EDLC and Performance Control as standard.
Highly rigid body structure with model-specific bracing elements for an agile driving response with maximum occupant protection; complete set of standard safety features with front airbags, head-thorax airbags integrated in the backrests, 3-point automatic belts on all seats, ISOFIX child seat mountings for the passenger seat and at the rear, tyre pressure display and partially active engine compartment lid for optimum pedestrian protection; needs-based control of the restraint systems and rollover protection by means of centralised safety electronics.
High-quality standard features including automatic soft top activation, central locking, Radio MINI Boost with USB and AUX-IN socket, Park Distance Control and air conditioning; customisation with a large selection of exterior mirror graphics, bonnet stripes, seat upholsteries, interior surfaces and Colour Lines as well as MINI Yours and John Cooper Works features.
Innovative features available for the MINI Convertible for the first time: LED headlamps with LED daytime driving light and LED rear lights; adaptive light distribution and LED turning light; LED fog lamp; lighting package with LED interior and ambient lighting; MINI Head-Up Display, Parking Assistant, Driving Assistant with camera-based active cruise control, collision and pedestrian warning with initial brake function, high beam assistant and road sign detection; rear view camera; Intelligent Emergency Call.
New MINI John Cooper Works Convertible with model-specific design and equipment features, especially large cooling air inlets in the front apron; distinctively designed side sills and rear apron; radiator grille, side scuttles and tailgate with John Cooper Works logo; LED headlamps and sports exhaust system with highly emotional sound delivery as standard; body finish optionally available in the variant Rebel Green, reserved exclusively for John Cooper Works models; standard interior fittings including John Cooper Works sports seats in Dinamica/fabric Carbon Black finish with integrated headrests, John Cooper Works door sill cover strips,John Cooper Works leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons,John Cooper Works gear or selector lever; cockpit displays and central instrument surround in model-specific design, pedals and driver footrest in stainless steel; optional MINI Head-Up-Display with display content specific to John Cooper Works.
Additional options to enhance driving fun, comfort and individual style include 2- zone automatic air conditioning with convertible mode, seat heating, Comfort Access, Always Open Timer with new display content, new wind deflector with reduced weight and simplified mounting, rain sensor with automatic driving lights control, MINI Excitement Package including MINI logo projection from the exterior mirror onto the area in front of the door on the driver’s side, heatable windscreen, heatable and folding exterior mirrors, interior and exterior mirrors with automatic dip function, Radio MINI Visual Boost, MINI navigation system and Wired equipment package including navigation system Professional with MINI Touch Controller and Bluetooth mobile phone preparation.
Complete MINI Connected in-car infotainment program; constantly updated selection of apps for integration in the car via smartphone; exclusive MINI functions such as MINI Streetwise, online search, Sports Instruments and Force Meter; MINI Connected XL Journey Mate with real time traffic radar and rain warning function; online-based services for the use of social networks as well as entertainment offers such as Spotify, AUPEO!, Stitcher, Deezer, Audible, Napster/Rhapsody, TuneIn and GoPro.
MINI Cooper S Convertible: 4-cylinder petrol engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology (turbo charging, direct injection, fully variable valve control, variable camshaft control), capacity: 1 998 cc, output: 141 kW/192 hp at 5 000 – 6 500 rpm, max. torque: 280 Nm at 1 250 – 4 000 rpm (300 Nm with overboost), acceleration (0–100 km/h): 7.2 seconds (automatic: 7.1 seconds), top speed: 230 km/h (228 km/h), average fuel consumption*: 6.1 – 6.0 litres (5.8 – 5.6 litres)/100 kilometres, CO2 emissions*: 142 – 139 g/km (134 – 131 g/km), exhaust emission standard: EU6.
MINI Cooper Convertible: 3-cylinder petrol engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology (turbo charging, direct injection, fully variable valve control, variable camshaft control),capacity: 1 499 cc, output: 100 kW/136 hp at 4 400 rpm,max. torque: 220 Nm at 1 250 rpm (230 Nm with overboost),acceleration (0–100 km/h): 8.8 seconds (automatic: 8.7 seconds),
top speed: 208 km/h (206 km/h),average fuel consumption*: 5.1 – 4.9 litres (5.3 – 5.1 litres)/100 kilometres,CO2 emissions*: 118 – 114 g/km (123 – 119 g/km), exhaust emission standard: EU6.
MINI One Convertible: 3-cylinder petrol engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology (turbo charging, direct injection, variable camshaft control),
capacity: 1 198 cc, output: 75 kW/102 hp at 4 000 – 6 000 rpm, max. torque: 180 Nmat 1 400 – 3 900 rpm,acceleration (0–100 km/h): 10.6 seconds, top speed: 190 km/h,average fuel consumption*: 5.2 – 5.0 litres/100 kilometres,CO2 emissions*: 120 – 116 g/km, exhaust emission standard: EU6.
MINI Cooper SD Convertible: 4-cylinder diesel engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology (turbocharger with variable turbine geometry, common rail direct injection),
capacity: 1 995 cc, output: 125 kW/170 hp at 4 000 rpm,max. torque: 360 Nm at 1 500 – 2 750 rpm,acceleration (0–100 km/h): 7.7 seconds, top speed: 218 km/h,average fuel consumption*: 4.4 – 4.3 litres/100 kilometres,CO2 emissions*: 116 – 113 g/km, exhaust emission standard: EU6.
MINI Cooper D Convertible: 3-cylinder diesel engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology (turbocharger with variable turbine geometry, common rail direct injection),
capacity: 1 496 cc, output: 85 kW/116 hp at 4 000 rpm,max. torque: 270 Nm at 1 750 – 2 250 rpm,acceleration (0–100 km/h): 9.9 seconds (automatic: 9.9 seconds),top speed: 195 km/h (195 km/h), average fuel consumption*: 4.0 – 3.8 litres (4.1 – 3.9 litres)/100 kilometres,CO2 emissions*: 105 – 100 g/km (109 – 104 g/km), exhaust emission standard: EU6.
MINI John Cooper Works Convertible: 4-cylinder petrol engine with MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology (turbo charging, direct injection, fully variable valve control, variable camshaft control),capacity: 1 998 cc, output: 170 kW/231 hp at 5 200 – 6 000 rpm, max. torque: 320 Nmat 1 250 – 4 800 rpm,acceleration (0–100 km/h): 6.6 seconds (automatic: 6.5 seconds),top speed: 242 km/h (240 km/h),average fuel consumption*: 6.5 (5.9 litres)/100 kilometres, CO2 emissions*: 152 g/km (138 g/km), exhaust emission standard: EU6.
* EU test cycle figures, fuel consumption dependent on the selected tyre format.
Length: 3 821 millimetres (MINI Cooper S Convertible, MINI Cooper SD Convertible: 3 850 millimetres, MINI John Cooper Works Convertible: 3 874 millimetres)
Width: 1 727 millimetres
Height: 1 415 millimetres
Wheelbase: 2 495 millimetres
Note: International press release. This is a 1:1 copy of the original issued by BMW Group headquarters in Germany. No adaptations have been made to cater for the Australian market.